Friday, February 02, 2007

The God-Shaped Hole

Yesterday I wrote about do-nuts and how, if indulged, there seems to be no end to wanting do-nuts. I ended with “So is there really something else we are longing for? Some wholeness, healing, limitless holiness that offers not more desire, but peace?”

Last night I realized I got the do-nut message wrong. Wholeness, limitless holiness, peace is. Got it? That’s what we are. Now.

If we are longing, even for God, then we’ve forgotten who we are, what we are. And with that longing, even for God, we are just opening up a hole we are unsuccessfully going to try fill: with do-nuts, with trinkets, with people, with new skills, with new experiences, with God.

Won’t happen.

Got it? Just relax. What you really want is already here. Peace.

1 comment:

Keetha said...

Are you sure? It's already here? I'd love to think so. Wonder what I have to stop doing in order to see it here already?